All the action from a busy weekend in the Donegal League

Glenea United, Donegal Town and Ballybofey lead the way in Sunday divisions

It was a good weekend for Brian McCormick Sports Premier Division leaders Glenea United who extended their lead at the top of the table following an impressive win at Rathmullan Celtic.
With Drumoghill FC and Kildrum Tigers both held in their respective fixtures, Glenea's lead at the top is out to four points as the league reaches the break for Christmas.
In Division One, Donegal Town and Cappry Rovers, the leading sides, both won again.There's no stopping Ballybofey United and Lifford Celtic at the top of the CT Ball Division.
Neither side has dropped a point between them in the league so far this season.
On Saturday night, Ballybofey United beat Dunkineely Celtic to stay top of the table.
On Sunday, Lifford Celtic, with a game less played than Ballybofey, won again, this time at Drumkeen United (2-1).

Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier Division
Rathmullan Celtic 1
Glenea United 4
Glenea eventually ran out comfortable winners of what was, for a long time, a close affair at the Flagpole. The Hoops will be left to ponder what might have been had a 66th minute volley from Jude Patton not cleared the crossbar by the slenderest of margins, with Glenea leading 2-1 at the time.
As it was, the visitors led at half time through a Lee O' Brien strike. Ryan McFadden made it two shortly after the break before Patton reduced Rathmullan's arrears.
O'Brien scored again from close range before Ciaran McFadden took advantage of a defensive mix-up to make it four late on.
Referee: Marty Quinn.

Kildrum Tigers 1
St. Catherine's 1
Kildrum started well and went one up on 3 minutes when Colhoun crossed for Lynch who made no mistake.
St Catherine's started to come into the game and looked dangerous from the long ball. Kildrum nearly went 2 up on a few occasions through Crossan, Coll and Curtis but the Saints held on. Kildrum were awarded a penalty 3 minutes into the second half but Lynch saw his poor effort saved by the keeper.
Kildrum were reduced to 10 men in the 75th minute and from the resulting free kick, St. Catherine's scored their equaliser.

Lagan Harps 2
Drumoghill F.C. 2
Lagan and Drumoghill shared the points in a hard fought derby.
Lagan got off to a great start with a goal in the second minute. A long crossfield ball from Marty Brogan was finished at the back post by Michael Doherty.
They went close again when a deep cross from Chris Toner was headed off the line by Ray Quinn.
Drumoghill edged possession but Lagan, with Michael Doherty pulling the strings, were the more dangerous.
Lagan increased their lead on 23 minutes when Kenny Doran fired home after a goalmouth scramble.
Drumoghill came out determined in the second half and with Philip White and Chris Malseed getting on top in midfield they began to push Lagan back. They finally made the breakthrough when Lagan failed to clear a long thrown in from Carlos Rodger. Liam O' Donnell forced the ball home. The equaliser was similar on 82 minutes, with another long throw causing bother, and Chris O'Donnell headed home.
For Lagan, Darren McEvoy. Marty Brogan and Ronan Gibson were best while Chris Malseed, Richie Moore and Philip White were best for Drumoghill.
Referee: Paddy Duffy.

Temple Domestic Appliances Div One
Raphoe Town 2
Gweedore Celtic 2
A hard fought draw between two determined teams at Deele College. Raphoe created the better chances early on but Odhran Mac Niallais hit the bar after 15minutes from a 40yrd free kick to serve warning from Gweedore.
Raphoe opened the scoring in the 23rd minute with Oliver Quinn hitting the bottom corner from a great volley.
Celtic equalised seven minutes later through Mac Niallais after a mix-up in the Raphoe defence.
Celtic took the lead on 60 minutes from a corner. Raphoe got the equaliser they deserved, a great finish from DJ Kelly.

Cappry Rovers 3
Gweedore United 0
Cappry secured the points in this entertaining game played in Cappry Park.
Cappry went on the attack from the start and they opened the scoring in the 16th minute when Aaron Kelly crossed the ball and found Gerald Melaugh who drilled the ball to the net.
They increased their lead in the 34th minute when Arron Kelly crossed the ball and once again it was met by Gerald Melaugh who scored.
Calvin Bradley got on the score sheet in the 42nd minute when he received a cross from Stephen Carr to score into the bottom corner of the net through a crowded goalmouth.
Referee Con Mc Laughlin.

Donegal Town 7
Glenree United 0
Donegal started the better of the two sides and moved the ball well at the beginning of the half.
Stephen Curneen opened the scoring for Donegal on 15 minutes when he turned quickly at the edge of the Glenree box and fired low from 18 yards into the bottom corner.
Eoin Slevin came close to doubling Donegal's lead forcing a great save from the Glenree keeper when he struck from 20 yards. Curneen doubled Donegal's lead on 35 minutes. Donegal's right back Brighton carried the ball from 30 yards to the Glenree end line and cut the ball back across the six yard box leaving Curneen the easy of finishes from close range.
Following a fine passage of play from Donegal at the beginning of the second half Daniel McHugh spotted the Glenree keeper off his line and finished the ball superbly into the top corner.
Joe McIntyre hit Glenree for a 4th within seconds of the tip off, McIntyre's long range effort deflected over the Glenree keeper.
Curneen completed his hat-trick on 60 minutes with a neat finish low to the bottom corner.
Daniel McHugh got Donegal's sixth on 65. McIntyre carried the ball into the 6 yard box and cut the ball back for McHugh to finish from close range.
Curneen got his fourth late in the game making it 7-0 to Donegal at the final whistle.

Bonagee United 2
Deele Harps 0
The home side came close on ten minutes when a Paddy Mc Gowan cross from the right was headed over by Lee McMonagle.
Mc Monagle made no mistake on 17 minutes when his strike from all of thirty yards flew into the top corner of the net.
Shane Gallagher for Deele saw his strike on 20 minutes saved by Carr in the home goal.
Deele started the second half on top and had strikes on goal by Cathal Mc Gowan and Michael Crawford.
Mc Monagle got his second on 80 minutes after Kevin Mc Hugh in midfield found Sean Crossan wide on the left and his cross into the box was hammered home by Mc Monagle from ten yards.
Referee: Dessie McLaughlin. 

CT Ball Division 
Ballybofey United 2
Dunkineely Celtic 0
Going into the game only eight points separated the teams with Dunkineely having a game in hand so it was a perfect opportunity for the Darney Park men to close the gap at the top of the table.
In what was one of the closest matches at the venue this season Dunkineely came out with only victory on their mind. Indeed they had several decent chances and but for some slack finishing could have taken the lead.
Neither side could find an opening goal howeve,r and the game remained scoreless at the interval.
The second half was only minutes old when Ballybofey took the lead. A corner from the left was headed against the Dunkineely crossbar and fell to Alan Patton who had the simplest of tasks of firing home from six yards. There were protests from the Dunkineely players and officials claiming that the ball had come back off the stanchion behind the crossbar.
Dunkineely had a man dismissed and fell further behind when Mark Griffin teased the defence along the edge of the box before picking his spot and firing home past Gavin Mulreany.
One of the brightest lights on the night was the performance of a youthful Daragh Murrin who played well in the Dunkineely attack. For Ballybofey Karl Dunnion looked assured between the sticks.

Letterbarrow Celtic 5
Cranford United 3
This game was played in a sombre atmosphere following the recent death of Letterbarrow man, Liam McHugh. A minute’s silence was observed before the game in his memory.
The first goal of the game came on ten minutes when Gerard McBrearty tapped home after good work from Kevin Mc Brearty.
Mc Brearty got on the scoresheet himself after 20 minutes when he finished at the far post from a James Mc Groary free kick.
John Gallagher pulled a goal back for the visitors just before the break.
The home side started the second half brightly and were rewarded when Allan Foxton scored from the penalty spot.
However, the visitors didn’t give up and made it 3-2 on sixty minutes, a speculative effort from Brendan Giles deceived the home keeper.
Cranford pulled level on 75 minutes when Giles slotted a neat finish into the corner of the net. Letterbarrow were not to be beaten on the afternoon and goals from Pauric Coyle and Allan Foxton sealed the three points for the home side.
Letterbarrow Celtic FC would like to extend their sincerest sympathies to the McHugh family and also to the family of Gerard Mc Brearty on their recent bereavements.

Saturday 10th December
Glencar Inn Saturday Division
Dunlewey Celtic 0 3 Glencar Celtic
Orchard F.C. 1 1 Strand Rovers
Saturday Reserve Division
Drumoghill F.C. 1 3 Milford United
St. Catherine's 0 3 Castlefin Celtic
Cappry Rovers 2 1 Keadue Rovers

Sunday 11th December
Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier Division
Rathmullan Celtic 1 4 Glenea United
Kildrum Tigers 1 1 St. Catherine's
Milford United 3 5 Castlefin Celtic
Lagan Harps 2 2 Drumoghill F.C.
Temple Domestic Appliances Division One
Raphoe Town 2 2 Gweedore Celtic
Cappry Rovers 3 0 Gweedore United
Donegal Town 7 0 Glenree United
Keadue Rovers 5 2 Erne Wanderers
Bonagee United 2 0 Deele Harps
CT Ball Division Two
Ballybofey United 2 0 Dunkineely Celtic
Drumkeen United 1 2 Lifford Celtic
Letterbarrow Celtic 5 3 Cranford United

If you have a story or want to send a photo or video to us please contact the Donegal Live editorial team any time. To contact Donegal Democrat and Donegal People's Press, email To contact Donegal Post, email To contact Inish Times, email

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.