Clonmany crash driver sent forward for trial

The driver of a car involved in a collision in which eight people died in Donegal in 2010 has been sent forward for trial to Letterkenny Circuit Court.

The driver of a car involved in a collision in which eight people died in Donegal in 2010 has been sent forward for trial to Letterkenny Circuit Court.

23-year-old Shaun Kelly, Hillroad, Ballymagan, Buncrana, had been charged with causing the death of the seven people who were passengers in his car and another man, Hugh Friel, near Clonmany, on July 11, 2010.

Thursday’s sitting of Buncrana District Court heard an application from solicitor Ciaran MacLochlainn for a “grammatical” amendment to the charge but he said there was no other issue with it.

The court heard from Inspector David Murphy who said the Director of Public Prosecutions consented for the accused to be sent forward for trial to the next sitting of Letterkenny Circuit Court in May.

Shaun Kelly was accompanied in court by his mother and nodded when told by Judge Paul Kelly that he would be sent for trial.

He was released on continuing bail.

If you have a story or want to send a photo or video to us please contact the Donegal Live editorial team any time. To contact Donegal Democrat and Donegal People's Press, email editorial@donegaldemocrat.ie To contact Donegal Post, email editor@donegalpost.com To contact Inish Times, email editor@inishtimes.com.

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.