Donegal County Council will send a delegation to the US for St. Patrick’s Day paid for by the taxpayer for the first time since 2009.
There has not been a sanctioned trip for a delegation for the last three years since the council voted not to send Fianna Fáil mayor Brendan Byrne and deputy mayor Charlie McConalogue in 2010.
Mayor Frank McBrearty Junior and councillors Bernard McGuinness and Terence Slowey all said they regretted that the Fianna Fáil councillors were prevented from travelling in 2010. The Fianna Fáil councillors paid for their own trip in 2010 and since then councillors have either not travelled or paid for the trip themselves.
Fianna Fáil whip on the council Ciaran Brogan said while there had been some annoyance in his party over the issue they would support the trip if it was acknowledged publicly that the decision not to send a delegation in 2010 was wrong.
The council unanimously voted by a majority on Wednesday night to send a delegation to the US comprising of mayor McBrearty, deputy mayor Martin Farran, county manager Seamus Neely and a member of the opposition.
If you have a story or want to send a photo or video to us please contact the Donegal Live editorial team any time. To contact Donegal Democrat and Donegal People's Press, email email@example.com To contact Donegal Post, email firstname.lastname@example.org To contact Inish Times, email email@example.com.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.