It has been confirmed that five of the 10 beds closed temporarily at Dungloe Community Hospital in May will open on Monday.
Sinn Féin Cllr. Marie Therese Gallagher said the Health Service Executive confirmed on Tuesday that five beds are to reopen on Monday, with three additional staff to be rostered at the hospital from then.
The additional staff are home-help already employed by the Health Service Executive, which means they do not affect the hiring moratorium.
“Attention needs to be focused on the other five beds that were closed,” Cllr. Gallagher said. She said clinical nursing staff would be needed for those beds, which means “the moratorium will have to be lifted in some way to have that.”
Cllr. Gallagher congratulated the people who attended a public meeting and march in support of the hospital, saying without that the beds would not have reopened.
There had been announcements over the summer that five beds were to re-open at the hospital shortly, but no beds have yet reopened since the 10 beds were closed in May.
If you have a story or want to send a photo or video to us please contact the Donegal Live editorial team any time. To contact Donegal Democrat and Donegal People's Press, email email@example.com To contact Donegal Post, email firstname.lastname@example.org To contact Inish Times, email email@example.com.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.