Kilcar hold on against St Michael’s

Kilcar hold on against St Michael’s
Kilcar produced the goods in the second half as they came from behind to claim the two league points against St Michael’s at the Bridge.

Kilcar produced the goods in the second half as they came from behind to claim the two league points against St Michael’s at the Bridge.

St Michael’s 0-7

Kilcar 0-8

The absence of leading marksmen Colm McFadden, St Michael’s and Patrick McBrearty, Kilcar, from their respective sides goes a long way to explain the low scoring nature of this encounter. Also missing were Christy Toye and Martin McElhinney, St Michaels and Ryan McHugh, Kilcar because this was a ‘star’ fixture.

At times at the Bridge, yesterday it looked a bit like Hamlet without the Prince.

The locals, playing with the aid of a stiffish breeze, led by the minimum margin 0-3 to 0-2 at half-time after getting off to a bright start.

St Michael’s, who lost their centre half-forward, Michael Cannon, to a harsh looking black card after five minutes, enjoyed the better of the opening quarter and led 0-3 to 0-0 at the end of a lively 15 minutes.

Cannon received his marching orders following a collision with Mark McHugh. In fairness to the St Michael’s man, he seemed to turn away as McHugh got his clearance away but the Kilcar man’s momentum carried him into Cannon and in the collision he fell to the ground.

Michael Langan, inside the first minute, Stephen Coyle on six minutes and Liam Paul Ferry, on 14 minutes did the scoring for Tony Wilkinson’s charges.

Conor Doherty kicked Kilcar’s first point on 17 minutes shortly after drawing a good save from Ciaran Gallagher in the St Michael’s goals.

And with crowded defences the order of the day, Doherty’s converted 35 metres free in the first minute of injury time was the half’s only other score.

The game did open up a little more in the second half and with Mark McHugh sweeping across the back and Michael Hegarty winning a little more possession around the middle of the field, Mark Sweeney, levelled the tie seven minutes into the new half.

Kilcar momentarily took the lead when Stephen McBrearty kicked a point but Stephen Coyle converted from a close range free to level the tie once more before Andrew Kelly, who had a good second half, edged the locals back in front, 0-5 to 0-4, with 42 minutes on the clock.

However, the lead was shortlived. Mark McHugh landed a 50 metre free and as the men from the South West raised the tempo, they hit three further points without reply to lead 0-8 to 0-5 with six minutes remaining.

But in one final charge Coyle and Lorcan McDaid posted late points before Seamus McGonagle blew time bang on the stroke of 60 minutes.

St Michael’s: C Gallagher; B Rodden, S Black, J H Alcorn; A McFadden, C ‘Rock’ Gallagher, M Gallagher; L P Ferry (0-1), M McGinley; C McElhinney, M Cannon, A Kelly (0-1);O Langan, L McDaid (0-1), M Langan (0-2,1f). Subs: S Coyle (0-2, for M Cannon (black, 5); P Sweeney for L P Ferry (59).

Kilcar: K Campbell; B Shovlin, C McShane, P Carr; C McGinley, M McHugh (0-2,2f), Aodhan McGinley; M Hegarty, D McShane; Eoin McHugh, S McBrearty (0-2), M Sweeney(0-1); A Carr, C Doherty (0-3,2f), M McClean. Subs: D O’Donnell for M McClean (h/t); P Gallagher for C McGinley (black,39); D Gallagher for A Carr (53).

Referee: S McGonagle (Aodh Ruadh).

To continue reading this archived article for FREE,
please just kindly register and/or log in.

Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.