Kilcar kick on in second half to overcome Glenswilly

Kilcar kick on in second half to overcome Glenswilly
Kilcar proved the masters in the match of the day before a huge crowd in Glenswilly on Sunday.

Kilcar proved the masters in the match of the day before a huge crowd in Glenswilly on Sunday.

Kilcar 0-9

Glenswilly 0-6

They were the better team in the second half after a very poor opening spectacle which finished 0-3 each.

Poor shooting was the order of the day as well as both sides also dropping numerous shots short. Kilcar finished with 13 wides while Glenswilly had 10.

It took ten minutes for the first score to be registered but then Glenswilly had three points on the board inside the next four minutes, Aidan McDevitt and two from Michael Murphy, one free and one with the outside of his right.

Kilcar began to find their feet in the second quarter with Mark Sweeney firing just over after being released by Patick McBrearty. McBrearty was finding it difficult to get on target, missing five first half efforts, wide or short.

Glenswilly had to replace Philip O’Donnell between the posts on 15 minutes and Gerard McGrenra was tested when making a great save from Eoin McHugh minutes later.

In the last minutes of the half Mark McHugh and a Patrick McBrearty free had Kilcar back on terms, while the other highlight of the half was a great block by Eamon Ward on McBrearty. Indeed Ward was the best Glenswilly player on the day.

There was just 21 seconds on the clock when Ciaran McGinley edged Kilcar in front in the second half. Michael Murphy levelled with his left but a bad mistake by Gary McFadden saw Patrick McBrearty fire over the lead point once more.

Mark McHugh, one of the best players for Kilcar, set up half-time substitute Conor Doherty to point and Ciaran McGinley pushed Kilcar three clear by the 42nd minute.

It seemed to be going Kilcar’s way but Glenswilly hit two points in a minute from Gary McFadden and Keelan McFadden by the 45th minute.

Michael Hegarty won a free for McBrearty to open the gap to two in the 52nd minute as Glenswilly went looking for a much needed goal. Neil Gallagher had an effort saved by Kevin Campbell, but the initial ball was adjudged to have been wide, before Michael Hegarty turned the ball over and set up Eoin McHugh for the last score on 59 minutes.

There was still time for some action with Keelan McFadden’s lob fisted just wide by Neil Gallagher and then McFadden saw yellow for a second time and red in added time. He had been yellow carded early in the second half for kicking the ball away to stop a Kilcar quick kick-out.

Overall, Kilcar were the better side. They had much more energy in the second half and but for poor shooting would have won this game much easier. Apart fromMark McHugh, Michael Hegarty stood up when needed while Kevin Campbell, Conor McShane, Ciaran McGinley and the excellent Andrew McClean were best.

For Glenswilly, it was not a day that they were firing with Michael Murphy looking tired. Neil Gallagher did all he could to get them out of a tight corner while Eamon Ward was outstanding at full-back.

Kilcar had the greater range of scorers. Even though Patrick McBrearty was well held, they had others to step up to the plate.

On the other hand, with Michael Murphy not firing on all cylinders, they had no one to step up with Gary ‘Copper’ McFadden below what is usually the norm with his shooting.

Kilcar are now in pole positin in the group, with home games against St. Michael’s and Bundoran to come, while Glenswilly will have to scrap it out with St. Michael’s for the final place. The final group game between this pair looks, even at this stage, to be a shoot-out.

Glenswilly: P O’Donnell; B McDaid, E Ward, D McGinley; C Kelly, C Bonner, R Crawford; N Gallagher, G McFadden (0-1); C Callaghan, J Gibbons, A McDevitt (0-1); O Crawford, M Murphy (0-3,1f), L Kelly. Subs., K McFadden (0-1) for D McGinley ht; B Molloy for L Kelly 43; P Diver for O Crawford 54.

Kilcar: K Campbell; B McGinley, C McShane, P Carr; P Gallagher, E McHugh (0-1), C McGinley (0-2); M McHugh (0-1), M Hegarty; S McBrearty, R McHugh, M Sweeney (0-1); D O’Donnell, P McBrearty (0-3,2f), A McClean. Subs., C Doherty (0-1) for D O’Donnell ht; A McGinley for M Sweeney 50; A Carr for S McBrearty 56

Referee: J White (Killybegs).

To continue reading this archived article for FREE,
please just kindly register and/or log in.

Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.