Huge turnout for school secretaries strike in Donegal

Minister McHugh urged to take note

Huge turnout for school secretaries strike in Donegal

School staff from Ballyraine NS, Letterkenny showing their support for the National School secretaries industrial action on Friday

School secretaries throughout Donegal held a one hour work stoppage on Friday morning as part of their campaign of industrial action in an effort to get the Department of Education 


As it stands just 10% of school secretaries are employed by the Department of Education. The remaining 90% are paid for out of school funding which supports their wages, caretakers and other school supplies. and without them, schools wouldn’t function.


Local spokesperson, Kathleen O'Doherty said members were attempting to change a two-tier pay system that leaves most staff on the statutory minimum wage.

 

"Secretaries paid in this way have no pension, sick leave or scale of pay as those paid through the department do and some have to apply for social welfare during the summer months and Christmas holidays.

"We were delighted with the turn out on Friday. Everyone including teachers, SNAs, members of school boards, caretakers and members of the public stood with us. This was the strongest show of force we have ever enjoyed. I hope our local Minister for Education Joe McHugh takes note of this and puts a process in motion to find a solution once and for all," she said.

If you have a story or want to send a photo or video to us please contact the Donegal Live editorial team any time. To contact Donegal Democrat and Donegal People's Press, email editorial@donegaldemocrat.ie To contact Donegal Post, email editor@donegalpost.com To contact Inish Times, email editor@inishtimes.com.

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.