The Health Protection Surveillance Centre has today been informed that a total of nine people with COVID-19 have sadly died in the Republic of Ireland. Yesterday there had been 17 new additional deaths while the day before nine additional deaths were reported.
There have now been a total 1,639 COVID-19 related deaths in Ireland.
The number of new additional cases in the last 24 hour period is 46, down from 73 for the previous day.
As of midnight Wednesday 27th May the HPSC has been notified of 46 confirmed cases of COVID-19.
There is now a total of 24,841 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ireland.
The HSE is working to identify any contacts the patients may have had to provide them with information and advice to prevent further spread.
Today’s data from the HPSC, as of midnight, Tuesday 26 May (24,795 cases), reveals:
· 57% are female and 43% are male
· the median age of confirmed cases is 48 years
· 3,267 cases (13%) have been hospitalised
· Of those hospitalised, 404 cases have been admitted to ICU
· 7,920 cases are associated with healthcare workers
· Dublin has the highest number of cases at 11,996 (48% of all cases) followed by Cork with 1,458 cases (6%) and then Kildare with 1,414 cases (6%)
· Of those for whom transmission status is known: community transmission accounts for 40%, close contact accounts for 58%, travel abroad accounts for 2%
The National Public Health Emergency Team met today (Thursday 28 May) to continue its review of Ireland’s ongoing response and preparedness to COVID-19.
Dr. Tony Holohan, Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health, said: “Throughout this pandemic NPHET has maintained a consistent focus on mortality, being very aware of the sad toll of lost loved ones on families.
“A mortality paper was prepared and discussed by NPHET today and identifies that mortality in Ireland has been within the lower range in overall terms compared with other health systems across Europe.
“Ireland will continue to report both confirmed and probable deaths from COVID-19 in all settings and direct public health measures to limit the burden of mortality.”
Dr. Ronan Glynn, Deputy Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health, said: “Today, NPHET agreed in principle to include in the case definition the sudden loss of smell (anosmia) and loss of taste (ageusia). This is subject to updated guidance from the ECDC, which is expected to be published tomorrow.”
Professor Philip Nolan, Chair of the NPHET Irish Epidemiological Modelling Advisory Group, said: “The reproduction number is currently estimated to be 0.5. ICU and hospital admissions and number of deaths per day continue to decline. The number of cases per day remain stable.
“Next week we will see figures that reflect the impact of Phase 1 measures on key disease spread indicators. It is our hope that the r-number will remain below one and our progress is preserve.
If you have a story or want to send a photo or video to us please contact the Donegal Live editorial team any time. To contact Donegal Democrat and Donegal People's Press, email email@example.com To contact Donegal Post, email firstname.lastname@example.org To contact Inish Times, email email@example.com.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.