Pajo's winner sends Drumoghill FC back top in Premier Division

Ballybofey United win the big game in CT Ball Division

Pajo's winner sends Drumoghill FC back top in Premier Division

Action from Sunday's Division meeting of Cappry Rovers and Keadue Rovers at Cappry Park.

Pajo Rafferty scored the winning goal which sent Drumoghill FC back to the top of the Brian McCormick Sports Premier Division on Sunday.

The reigning champions won 1-0 at Castlefinn Celtic and in the process moved ahead of leaders Glenea United who were held 2-2 at Milford United.

In Division One, the top three sides all won - so there's no change at the top with Cappry Rovers leading the way. They scored a narrow 1-0 win over Keadue Rovers on Sunday.

And Ballybofey United look to be on their way to title success after they came out on top at Lifford Celtic today. In the meeting of the top two, leaders Ballybofey won 2-0.

Brian McCormick Premier Division
Rathmullan Celtic . . . 3
Kildrum Tigers . . . 3
For the second time in a fortnight Rathmullan had to absorb the concession of a goal deep, deep into stoppage time that deprived them of three much-needed points.
The visitors trailed by two goals midway through the second half when they were reduced to ten men.
Then in a crazy spell at the end, four goals were scored, every emotion hit for both teams and their supporters and, eventually, a point each as a truce had to be declared.
Rathmullan hit the front inside two minutes. Skipper Eoin Sheridan lofted a header back into the 18-yard box after a corner had been partially cleared and Kevin Doran launched himself into a bicycle kick to fire past Andrew Simmons in the Tigers goal.
They doubled the lead just before the hour. Sheridan again was the catalyst, bursting at pace from the middle of the field and threading a clever reverse pass into Jude Patton's path. He shot low and beyond the dive of Simmons into the corner.
Kildrum's cause looked bleak when David Doherty saw a straight red for a challenge on Chippy Barrett in the centre circle.
The ten men set about getting back into the game and they did just that on 84 minutes, Rathmullan this time failing to clear their lines from a corner and Jamie McKinney thumped the ball over the line. Barely 90 seconds later and the sides were level. A cross from Gary Crossan was met by William Lynch at the back post and Mark Gallagher had no chance in the Hoops net.
Rathmullan went on the attack right from the kick-off and regained the lead within 60 seconds. Full-back David Fisher whipped in a terrific right-footed cross and the unmarked James Gallagher kept his eyes on the prize at the far post to head home powerfully.
With more than seven minutes of stoppage time elapsed, Kildrum forced a corner which was stabbed to the net by Blaine Curtis.
Referee: Mick Lagan

Castlefin Celtic . . . 0
Drumoghill F.C. . . . 1
The visitors created the first chance of the half when Pajo Rafferty had a volley from 25 yards but it was well saved by Anthony Sweeney in the home goals.
Castlefin got a foothold on the game and created a few chances but JP Malley failed to convert from close range.
The visitors started the brighter in the second half and took the lead when the ball broke to Rafferty who raced clear and finished well after 50 minutes.
Castlefin pressed for an equaliser but Ian Ward headed wide after good work from Jonny Robb. Drumoghill could have doubled their lead with a few opportunities but Liam O’ Donnell missed from close range.
Referee: Patrick Martin

Milford United . . . 2
Glenea United . . . 2
A share of the spoils was a fair result in a pulsating game at Moyle View Park in front of an enthusiastic crowd.
Glenea went one up in the first minute after a mix up in the Milford defence and Kevin Mulhern tapped home. Milford levelled on 20minutes with Kyle Black hitting the net from 18 yards.
Milford took the lead in the 65th minute through a Paul Nash strike to the top corner from 20 yards. Glenea levelled on 80minutes when Kevin Mulhern tapped home from a corner.
Milford’s PJ Hagan played the last 15minutes before he and girlfriend Stephanie emigrate to Australia next week and they are wished well.
Referee: Liam Mc Laughlin.

Kilmacrennan Celtic . . . 2
Lagan Harps . . . 2
In a keenly contested match in Kerrykeel a draw was as fair outcome.
Lagan started well and took the lead on ten minutes. Marty Brogan flighted a great ball in to area and Kenny Doran rose highest to head home. Kilmacrennan equalised when Christopher Dillon put a lovely ball in behind the Lagan defence and Caolan Mc Daid finished well.
Kilmacrennan put on some pressure as the half ended and went close on a couple of occasions. Lagan regained the lead early in the second half with a stunning goal. The Kilmacrennan defence headed a Lagan cross away but Caolan Murray met it with a superb volley in to the top of the net, his first goal for Lagan seniors.
Kilmacrennan piled on the pressure as the half wore on and were awarded a penalty on sixty five minutes. However, Damien Mc Fadden saved Caolan Mc Daid's effort and in the subsequent scramble a goal was ruled out for offside.
Kilmacrennan finally equalised on 83 minutes when a long throw in was flicked on and Aidan Sweeney headed in at the back post.

Temple Domestic Appliances Division One

Gweedore United . . . 1
Glenree United . . . 3
This game, played at Carrickboyle on a lovely day, saw the visitors collect a vital three points.
The home side were made to pay for some early missed chances when a bit of magic from Andrew Kelly in the 19 minute made it 0-1.
In the second half the home side continued to push and got caught on the break in the 71st minute and Glenree we're awarded a penalty which Barry Boyce finished well to make it 0-2. Martin Mc Laughlin made it 0-3 in the 80th minute. Ciaran Mc Fadden got a consolidation goal for the home side in the 88th minute on a day they had enough chances to win two games.
Referee: Martin Hunter

Raphoe Town . . . 1
Erne Wanderers . . . 0
A second half penalty from Christy Bogle was enough to separate the teams as Raphoe Town recorded their second home win in as many weeks at Deele College.
Despite late pressure from the visitors who sought to steal a point late on, it was a well-deserved win for Shane Dolan’s team who might well have netted more on the day.
Gavin Mc Brearty spurned a good chance early on and Jamie Gallagher, who was excellent throughout for Raphoe, blazed wide after he’d cut the Erne defence asunder with a super run.
Gallagher was too hot to handle for the Erne men all day and he was upended for the penalty kick that Christy Bogle coolly slotted home.
Stephen Laird saw a free-kick smash off the crossbar and there were half chances later for Bogle and young DJ Kelly, but in the end one goal was enough for Raphoe to take all three points.

Gweedore Celtic . . . . 3
Bonagee United . . . . 1
Gweedore opened the scoring on 12 minutes after Tommy Diver converted a spectacular volley from a Micheal Roarty cross.
The Celts then squandered a number of chances before Bonagee drew level on 40 minutes from a fantastic strike from 35 yards by Lee McMonagle.
On 60 minutes Diver headed his side into the lead from a Ciaran McHugh cross. Diver then made the game safe and secured his hat-trick when he nodded in a cross from Eamonn McGee.

Referee: Paddy Duffy.

Cappry Rovers . . . 1
Keadue Rovers . . . . 0
It was the home side that had the first clear cut chance of the game when Brendan Mc Laughlin's quick free found Calvin Bradley but his effort went just wide.
Mc Laughlin had a fine effort saved by the Keadue keeper in the 38th minute.
The away side came out strong in the second half and pushed the home side back but the Cappry defence held strong.
In the 56th minute Cappry took the lead following a scramble in the box Brendan Mc Laughlin made room for himself and fired into the top corner.

Donegal Town . . . 6
Deele Harps . . . 0
Declan Brown opened the scoring for Donegal on 10 minutes when he headed into the top corner following Eoin Slevin’s cross.
Daniel McHugh doubled Donegal’s lead on 25 minutes when he pounced on a loose ball in the Deele box and finished neatly into the roof of the net. Donegal came out of the blocks fast in the second half and were awarded a penalty five minutes in when Joe McIntyre was brought down inside the penalty area. Eoin Slevin made no mistake from 12 yards.
Daniel McHugh made it four for Donegal on 60 minutes when his wonder strike from 25 yards found the top corner. Declan Browne got his second on 70 minutes when his low strike from the edge of the box nestled into the bottom corner. Aaron Slevin rounded off the scoring for Donegal on the 80th minute.

CT Ball Division Two
Cranford United . . . 3
Drumkeen United . . . 4
Cranford made a great start to the game putting Drumkeen under pressure at the back and Brendan Giles got his reward with a header from close range.
Cranford pushed again, this time Johnny Wilhare getting on the end of a long through ball to score. Odhran Coll got number three with a well placed finish from outside the box.
Drumkeen were rattled but when Niall Bonner picked up a loose ball he cooly put it over the advancing keeper. Bonner got a second just before half time with a neat one two and a tidy finish.
Drumkeen started the second half brightly with Bonner completing his hat-trick minutes after the restart.
They completed the comeback through Michael Guthrie. Niall Bonner and Kevin Boyle were best for Drumkeen with Odhran Coll and Johnny Wilhare doing well for Cranford.

Lifford Celtic. . . 0
Ballybofey United . . . 2
Ballybofey started the brighter in this game and were playing some good football in the first 20 minutes but never really tested Given in the Lifford goal.
The home side came into it a bit more as the half wore on and went close through Jason Mc Brearty.
Ballybofey striker Glackin had a great chance just before half time but keeper Given stood up strong and made a good save.
In the second half Ballybofey started going more direct and sub Mark Griffin went clear to poke the ball past Given.
Lifford nearly got back on level terms when Johnny Mahon had a goalbound effort blocked on the line.
Ballybofey went two up on 70 minutes, again it was Griffin who made the difference with a well taken effort that flew into the top corner.
A really good result for Ballybofey who will be happy to extend their lead over Lifford in the race for the title.

Whitestrand United . . . 1
Dunkineely Celtic . . . 2
Whitestrand started on the front foot and almost took the lead but the chance was narrowly missed by Johnny Sweeney.
Dunkineely took the upper hand when a defensive mix up led to a goal by Aaron Byrne. Dunkineely extended their lead when they were awarded a penalty which was converted by Martin Cunningham.
The second half started with Dunkineely happy to sit on their two goal lead and Whitestrand struggled to get into the game.
Paul Coyle had a shot well saved and Dunkineely hit the post from a shot that was well saved by Martin Gallagher.
Whitestrand got a consolation goal in the 90th minute but there was not enough time to push for an equaliser. Best for the Strand was Derek Edwards.


Saturday 28th January 2017
Glencar Inn Saturday Division
Arranmore United 1v 0 Orchard F.C.

Saturday Reserve Division
Donegal Town Reserves 2 v 1 Glenea United Reserves
St. Catherines Reserves 5 v 0 Kilmacrennan Celtic Reserves
Milford United Reserves 0 v 4 Castlefin Celtic Reserves
Glenree United Reserves 4 v 3 Erne Wanderers Reserves

Sunday 29th January 2017

Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier Division
Rathmullan Celtic 3 v 3 Kildrum Tigers
Castlefin Celtic 0 v 1 Drumoghill F.C.
Milford United 2 v 2 Glenea United
Kilmacrennan Celtic 2 v 2 Lagan Harps

Temple Domestic Appliances Division One
Gweedore United 1 v 3 Glenree United
Raphoe Town 1 v 0 Erne Wanderers
Gweedore Celtic 3 v 1 Bonagee United
Cappry Rovers 1 v 0 Keadue Rovers
Donegal Town 6 v 0 Deele Harps

CT Ball Division Two
Cranford United 3 v 4 Drumkeen United
Lifford Celtic 0 v 2 Ballybofey United
Whitestrand United 1 v 2 Dunkineely Celtic


Saturday 4th February 2017 K.O. 2 p.m. (Unless Stated)
Glencar Inn Saturday Division
Drumbar F.C. v Arranmore United(K.O. 1 p.m.)
Strand Rovers v Dunlewey Celtic
Orchard F.C. v Fintown Harps AFC

Saturday Reserve Division
Kilmacrennan Celtic Reserves v Cappry Rovers Reserves
Donegal Town Reserves v Keadue Rovers Reserves
St. Catherines Reserves v Erne Wanderers Reserves
Drumoghill F.C. Reserves v Castlefin Celtic Reserves
Glenree United Reserves v Milford United Reserves

Sunday 5th February 2017 K.O. 2p.m. (Unless Stated)
Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier Division
St. Catherines v Drumoghill F.C.
Kilmacrennan Celtic v Milford United
Kildrum Tigers v Glenea United
Castlefin Celtic v Rathmullan Celtic
Lagan Harps v Convoy Arsenal

Temple Domestic Appliances Division One
Glenree United v Erne Wanderers
Bonagee United v Gweedore United
Raphoe Town v Keadue Rovers
Gweedore Celtic v Donegal Town
Cappry Rovers v Deele Harps

CT Ball Division Two
Letterbarrow Celtic v Curragh Athletic
Drumkeen United v Kerrykeel ’71 F.C.
Ballybofey United v Whitestrand United
Copany Rovers v Cranford United
Dunkineely Celtic v Lifford Celtic

If you have a story or want to send a photo or video to us please contact the Donegal Live editorial team any time. To contact Donegal Democrat and Donegal People's Press, email To contact Donegal Post, email To contact Inish Times, email

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.