Bonagee advance in Knockalla Cup

Bonagee United advanced to the semi finals of the Knockalla Cup as they overcame local rivals Letterkenny Rovers 2-0 at Leckview Park on Sunday.

Bonagee United advanced to the semi finals of the Knockalla Cup as they overcame local rivals Letterkenny Rovers 2-0 at Leckview Park on Sunday.

Letterkenny Rovers 0

Bonagee United 2

Played in dry but breezy conditions, Peter Moran’s team will be delighted to come away from Leckview Park with a win and a clean sheet and will look forward to a Knockalla semi-final on May 13th.

A goal in each half from Dean Larkin gave the visitors victory as Rovers finished the game with ten men following the second half dismissal of Darren McElwaine.

The home side started brightly and were denied by the woodwork early on; while Jamie Doherty had a low drive hit the side netting. However, Bonagee were gifted a lead goal when goalkeeper Chris Patton bundled the ball into his own net from a Larkin corner.

In a game of few chances, Rovers task was made all the more difficult midway through the second half when McElwaine was red carded by referee Con McLaughlin for dissent.

With Rovers committing men forward, Bonagee were always going to threaten from the counter and so it proved as they wrapped up the victory when Aidan McLaughlin pulled the ball back for Larkin who swept the ball home from close range to seal a semi-final spot for the men from the Dry Arch. Referee: Con McLaughlin.

Ulster Senior League

Fanad United 2 Drumkeen United 1 After a lively start by both teams, Drumkeen took the lead on 13 minutes. Richard Moore cut inside Shaun McElwaine and went past Ciaran Gorman and after a scramble the ball fell to Sean Ferry who placed the ball past the outstretched arm of Lee McFadden. Shortly after Richard Moore had a shot from the edge of the area which was held by McFadden.

On 24mins Mark Friel shot narrowly wide after good pressure from Kyle Black. Fanad levelled on 28mins when Brian Lafferty curled in a perfect free kick from 20 yards after Kyle Black was fouled. 10 minutes later Seamus “Coshia” Friel broke out of defence and played a perfectly timed through ball to Seamus “Nanny” Friel who calmly slotted into the bottom corner of Paul McCauley’s net to give the home side the lead.

The second half was very patchy with very few clear chances. Sean Ferry could have done better for Drumkeen 55 mins in, but blasted his shot wide.

On 75 mins Brian Lafferty did well down the right and crossed for Kyle Black whose header went just over. On 85 mins Drumkeen’s penalty claim was waved away by ref Stephen Toner, who adjudged the ball had hit Declan O’Donnell in the chest. Substitute Brian McVeigh also had late shot well blocked by Mark Marley.

Best for Fanad were Brian Lafferty and Mark Friel. Best for Drumkeen were Richard Moore and Sean Ferry.

Fanad United: Lee McFadden; Declan O’Donnell, Seamus ‘Coshia’ Friel, Kieran Gorman, Shaun McElwaine; Brian Lafferty (Brian McVeigh 80), Seamus ‘Nanny’ Friel, Paul Friel (Ryan Toland 72), Mark Friel; Eunan Kelly (David O’Herlihy 86), Kyle Black.

Drumkeen United: Paul McAuley; Justin Deasley (Chris Kyle 11), Ray Quinn, Shaun Gallagher, Gavin Reilly; Gary Patton, Philip Whyte, Mark Marley, Benny Bonner; Sean Ferry, Richard Moore. Referee: Stephen Toner.

Cockhill Celtic 4

Swilly Rovers 0

Cockhill Celtic FC claimed a hard fought 4-0 victory in their 2012 USL league season opener against a very physically strong Swilly Rovers FC at the Charlie O’Donnell Sports Grounds on Saturday evening last. The score line would suggest that the home side had it easy but all the goals came in the second half, all against 9 men with 3 goals coming in the final ten minutes of the game.

Swilly had the first real chance on 2 minutes when Michael Doherty latched onto a long throw by Brian Coll before lashing a left footed effort just past former Swilly keeper John Roulstones left hand upright. Only moment’s later Cockhill skipper Liam O’Donnell hit wide from 20 yards after a Gerry Gill cross was half cleared by Columba O’Donnell. Swilly, who had started the better of the two sides, had another effort on 10 minutes when Maurice Tolands free kick was gathered low by Roulstone at his near post.

The game turned a bit scrappy over the middle period off the half as players from both teams gave up possession on the cheap. Swillys Martin McDaid then broke clear in the left back position but his shot was saved by the legs of Roulstone. The game saw its first of two red cards on the stroke off half time when Doherty was shown a straight red for the visitors, from the free Cockhills Gerry Gill found Johnny Havlin at the back post but his header was into the side netting

Cockhill started the second period with a slight wide advantage in what otherwise was a splendid evening for football. On 52 minutes Gerry Gill brought a save from Ciaran Molloy in the Swilly goal before the visiting keeper had to be alert on 56 minutes this time to save a low drive from distance by Malachy McDermott. The second red card was issued on 59 minutes to full back Coll again with the referee well placed. On 64 minutes Molloy produced a great one handed save to push Gills free wide for a corner. The home side got the breakthrough on 66 minutes when centrehalf William O’Connor flicked a header past Molloy from six yards. Cockhill substitute Aiden O’Donnell then went on a good run before laying it back to fellow substitute James Bradley but he shot wide when well placed. O’Donnell added the second for the home side on 81 minutes as he broke a couple off tackles midway inside the Swilly half before shooting a powerful strike from 25 yards past Molloys near post with the keeper having no chance. Mark Moran added number 3 on 84 minutes when he headed a wonderful cross from Bradley past Molloy from 8 yards. The home side added the fourth and final goal on 89 minutes when O’Connor, up for a corner, wriggled his way around 3 Swilly defenders before side footing the ball to the net from 6 yards. Best for the home side was Johnny Havlin, William O’Connor & Liam O’Donnell. Best for Swilly Keith Hegarty, Columba O’Donnell & Dylan Hegarty who replaced the injured Ruari Kelly midway through the first half

Cockhill Celtic FC: John Roulstone; Oisin McColgan, Conor Gallagher, Johnny Havlin, William O’Connor, Conor Keddy, Mark Moran, Liam O’Donnell, Paul McKinney, Malachy McDermott & Gerry Gill Subs; Aiden O’Donnell, Greg Bradley, Kieran McLaughlin, Harry Doherty, James Bradley, Aiden Porter & Michael O’Connor.

Swilly Rovers FC: Ciaran Molloy; Darren Dunworth, Brian Coll, Columba O’Donnell, Ruari Kelly, Shane Brown, Terence Shiels, Keith Hegarty, Michael Doherty, Marty McDaid, Laurence Toland Subs; Ronan Gibson, Cathal Diver, Ryan McDaid, James Doyle, Dylan Hegarty, Michael McHugh & Ruairi Curtis.

Buncrana Hearts 1

Derry City Res. 3

In breezy conditions at Castle Park, visitors Derry City enjoyed early possession in the first few minutes without creating any goal threat. Buncrana Hearts fashioned their first opportunity after 5 minutes when Kieran McDaid earned a free kick just outside the box on the right hand side. The free was delivered deep to the back post by Padraic McLaughlin but no Hearts’ player was able to get on the end of it. The pattern for the remainder of the first half was set as Buncrana dominated and created several chances. On 13 minutes, the lively McDaid combined well with Gerard McLaughlin and his cross into the box just eluded the onrushing Robbie Fullerton. Derry goalkeeper Seamus Houten had a lucky escape when Gerard McLaughlin closed in quickly on a back pass and minutes later, relied on a defender to get a vital headed touch to turn away McLaughlin’s free from 25 yards. The Buncrana front two, McDaid and McLaughlin, continued to threaten. A corner, earned in the 24th minute after neat interplay between the two and Darach O’Connor, was well delivered by McDaid to the head of McLaughlin whose effort under pressure did not have enough power to get past Houten. McDaid was then fouled on the edge of the box after 32 minutes and McLaughlin clipped the outside of the post from the resultant free.  Derry had a rare opportunity on goal after 40 minutes when after some hesitancy in the Buncrana defence, Kevin Barr dragged his snapshot wide when well placed.  Another Derry opportunity from a free kick 25 yards out was thwarted by the Buncrana wall as the game edged towards half-time. However, on the stroke of half-time, Buncrana got their noses in front when good combinations between O’Connor, Fullerton and McLaughlin allowed Liam McCarron just enough space to drive past Houten from 12 yards. The second half started with Buncrana dominating the early stages, Robbie Fullerton earning two free kicks in dangerous positions. However, Derry began to claw their way back in to the game with Barry McNamee’s contribution proving pivotal. His strike from a free on 54 minutes was well defended by Ben Holly. Five minutes later, Tony McNamee was given too much space in the box and his through ball allowed Barry McNamee to lift the ball over Shaun O’Donnell to net Derry’s equaliser. Buncrana’s Robbie Fullerton who had been injured in a first half clash was replaced by Caomhan Doherty on 64 minutes, as the home side tried to regain their advantage. Padraic McLaughlin set his brother Gerard free on the right hand flank and Houten had to be alert to prevent McDaid converting his pass.

It was Derry who took the lead however on 67 minutes when last season’s Hearts’ Player of the Year Matthew Henry was afforded way too much time in the box. Collecting from a throw-in on the right hand side, he had two attempts to cross in the penalty area, the second effort being met by Kevin Barr to head in to the top corner. Derry’s lead was extended ten minutes later when from a corner, Padraic McLaughlin’s headed clearance fell to Barry McNamee who took advantage of no-one closing the ball to drill past O’Donnell.

Hearts continued to press hard to reduce the deficit and a Gerard McLaughlin cross from the right hand side just eluded the incoming Liam McCarron. Kevin O’Loughlin’s introduction at the expense of Jamie Coyle on 80mins was Buncrana’s last throw of the dice as they tried to get something out of the game. However, Derry saw the game out to claim all three points in this opening Ulster Senior League fixture. Best for Buncrana were Darach O’Connor and Kieran McDaid, whilst Barry McNamee stood out for the visitors.

Buncrana Hearts: O’Donnell, P McLaughlin, J Coyle, Duffy, D Coyle, McCarron, Holly, O’Connor, McLaughlin G, McDaid, Fullerton. Subs: O’Loughlin K, McGonagle, Doherty, Murphy, O’Loughlin J.

Derry City: Houten, McGreevey, Curran, Bonner, Barr, Villa, Brown, Henry, Barr, T McNamee, B McNamee. Subs: Breslin, Harkin, McCaul


4 Lanterns USL

Fanad Utd. 2, Drumkeen Utd. 1

Cockhill Celtic 4, Swilly Rovers 0

Buncrana Hearts 1, Derry City 3

Knockalla Caravans Cup Q-Final

Letterkenny Rovers 0, Bonagee Utd. 2


Thursday May 3rd at 7pm

4 Lanterns USL

Swilly Rovers v Derry City Res. C. McLaughlin

Drumkeen Utd. v Kildrum Tigers T. McAree

Sunday, May 6th at 2pm

Buncrana Hearts v Letterkenny Rovers T. Moyne

Knockalla Caravans Cup Q-Final

Thursday, May 3rd

Milford Utd. v Fanad Utd.

1st Division League Cup

Saturday, May 5th at 2pm

Letterkenny Rovers v Kildrum Tigers S. Toner

Bonagee Utd. v Swilly Rovers D. McCafferty

If you have a story or want to send a photo or video to us please contact the Donegal Live editorial team any time. To contact Donegal Democrat and Donegal People's Press, email To contact Donegal Post, email To contact Inish Times, email

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.