Search our Archive


Bonagee see red twice in FAI Senior Cup Qualifying Round game

Bonagee see red twice in FAI Senior Cup Qualifying Round game

Bonagee United were beaten 3-1 by Maynooth University Town in their FAI Senior Cup Qualifying Round match in Kildare.

Two goals from Cillian Duffy in the first half put the Leinster Senior League side on the way to victory, and Bonagee's cause was not helped with the dismissal of Jack Parke.

Jack O'Connor added a third in the second half before Packie Mailey got a consolation goal for the Donegal side.

Mailey was then sent off but this was always going to be a tough game for Bonagee against a side who had been back in pre-season training for ten weeks.

Maynooth University Town 3

Bonagee United 1

By Chris McNulty

In the space of eleven minutes at the end of the first half, Bonagee United’s FAI Senior Cup hopes were torn.

A brace of goals by Cillian Duffy helped Maynooth University Town through from this qualifying round tie.

Bonagee’s cause wasn’t helped when new signing Jack Parke was sent off just before half-time.

A third Maynooth goal, by substitute Jack O’Connor in the 73rd minute, killed Bonagee’s hopes, although the Donegal side got a consolation goal from Packie Mailey, who was also sent off on a second booking late in the game.

Bonagee - who included former Finn Harps midfielder Gareth Harkin in their ranks - were in their first competitive outing since a dramatic League Cup final win over Letterkenny Rovers last September, Jason Gibson’s team ending a 312-day wait for a game.

Maynooth, whose new Leinster Senior League season began in recent weeks, began the brighter and Cathal Foley curled over the top after 11 minutes.

The2 game only came to life when Maynooth broke the deadlock in the 31st minute. Bonagee were turned over from their own corner and Maynooth broke with intend. John Roulstone got a hand to Duffy’s effort after the winger cut in from the right-hand edge of the penalty area, but the Bonagee ‘keeper was unable to prevent the opener.

Just seven minutes later, Duffy was at it again; this time riffling beyond Roulstone from 20 yards.

In between times, Deano Larkin was unable to hit the target with a header at the other end.

With half-time looming, Bonagee were down to ten men, Parke’s challenge on Patrick O’Sullivan deemed excessive and the midfielder was given a straight red card.

Duffy fired over from a 25-yard free just after the break and Roulstone made a strong save to deny O’Sullivan.

Roulstone saved from Sean Traynor as Maynooth moved with intent.

Seventeen minutes from the end, Bonagee were carved open and O’Connor converted from Josh Hogan’s centre.

Bonagee got one back when Mailey headed Michael Funston’s cross past Sane Fagan, but the visitors’ woe was heightened when Mailey was given a second yellow. 

Maynooth University Town: Shane Fagan, Darragh Gannon, Alex Fitzgibbon, Conor Dunne, Jake Corrigan, Alex Kelly, Jackson Ryan, Cathal Foley, Eoin O’Neill, Patrick O’Sullivan, Cillian Duffy. Subs: Josh Hogan and Sean Traynor for Ryan and Duffy (55), Mark Colgan and Jack O’Connor for O’Neill and Corrigan (65), Conor Delahunty for O’Sullivan (71).

Bonagee United: John Roulstone, Jamie Lynagh, Mark Harkin, Packie Mailley, Gareth Breslin, Daniel O’Donnell, Michael Funston, Jack Parke, Aidan McLaughlin, Gareth Harkin, Deano Larkin. Subs: Garbhan Grant and Sean Hume for McLaughlin and Larkin (61), Peter Carr for Lynagh (76).

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.