The scene at O'Donnell Park on Sunday for the meeting of Donegal and Mayo. Photo: Geraldine Diver
Jim McGuinness has stressed that Donegal’s Ulster SFC clash with Down will not be played outside of the county.
The Ulster Council’s Master Fixture Guide for 2026 had O’Donnell Park as the named venue for the Ulster quarter-final tie, although McGuinness said that Ballybofey has not yet been fully ruled out.
MacCumhaill Park, with a capacity of 17,500, is Donegal's traditional home championship venue - but has been relaid with the resurfacing of the ground, which is part of a €500,000 overall redevelopment, which began in April. The project also includes improvements to floodlighting, drainage, and accessibility.
O’Donnell Park in Letterkenny hosted Donegal’s 1-19 to 0-14 win over Mayo on Sunday in the National Football League, with 8,900 in attendance, two weeks after 9,000 watched McGuinness’s side overcome Kerry at Fr Tierney Park in Ballyshannon, with Galway to visit the Erneside town on Sunday, March 1.
READ NEXT: Brendan Cawley set to officiate Donegal’s National League clash away to Armagh
It had been suggested that an alternative venue might be sought to meet ticket demand, although those rumours were quickly quashed by the Donegal manager, who said it would be one of Ballybofey or Letterkenny for Down.
“We're waiting to see,” McGuinness said, referencing MacCumhaill Park, when asked about the venue for the April 26 encounter with Down. “I think it'll be weather-dependent. We're just trying to bring it to the end game before there's a final decision made on it.
“There will be a handover and it’s just a matter of when that is. And hopefully the pitch (at MacCumhail Park) will be ready. And if it's not ready, it's not ready. We play in Letterkenny. Will it be played outside of the county? No. Absolutely not”.
St Eunan’s in Letterkenny played host to last year’s Donegal SFC final and, having regained its county ground status in 2007, is in line to hold a first championship match since 1951, when Donegal drew 2-7 to 2-7 against Antrim.
“Yeah, we had a great day,” St Eunans chairman Eugene Duffy said after the Mayo game on Sunday. "We had a full capacity crowd. Everything went smoothly. They filled up very quickly. A lot of good feedback from the supporters as well - and obviously a great win too.
“It's a massive privilege, and it's a great pride for the club, especially for the groundsmen like Vincent McGlynn, and Andy, his son, the development officer.
“We have a fantastic Dr James McDaid stand, with 2,460-odd seats, with no restricted views and a large press box, and of course, the on-site Clubhouse bar is open on all matchdays, which is great as well”.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.