Four Masters keep in touch with Milford at top


Four Masters scored a valuable victory over neighbours Killybegs in this relatively one-sided affair in Fintra.

Killybegs 0-8

Four Masters 2-12

Goals from lively veteran Barry Monaghan and Darren Doherty were the key scores in a match where the Masters were never really extended.

Home side Killybegs appeared to badly miss the services of the inspirational Hugh McFadden and Eoin Ban Gallagher, while Masters were well able to function in the absence of the much- decorated Karl Lacey.

Barry Monaghan hit an early point and followed this with a goal around 20 seconds later when his long high speculative shot from midfield somehow managed to end up in the Killybegs net.

This was the worst possible start for the home side and the proceeded to concede several scorable opportunities inside their own 45.

And Donegal Town marksman Conor McDaid took full advantage of these indiscretions, converting four first half frees.

The energetic Darren Doherty completed the scoring for the visitors as Four Masters led by 1-6 to 0-2 at the interval.

An outgunned Killybegs replied with points from Antoine O’Hara.

The second half continued in a similar vein with Masters getting and converting scorable frees.

But this contest was effective sealed as early as the 36th minute when the alert Daren Doherty got on the end of a long punted Kevin McBrearty effort and place the ball low to the bottom corner of the net.

Doherty’s dazzling strike put the winners into a 2-6 to 0-2 lead with corner back Josh Lacey and Emmett Doogan also getting in on the scoring act.

To their credit Killybegs went down fighting in the final quarter when Daniel Breslin, Shane Molloy, Antoin O’Hara and Eoin Gallagher all found the target to make the score line slightly more respectable.

Four Masters scorers: Barry Monaghan (1-1), Darren Doherty (1-1) Conor McDaid (0-4f), Michael Doherty (0-4f), Josh Lacey (0-1), Emmett Doogan (0-1).

Killybegs scorers: Antoine O’Hara (0-2), Shane Molloy (0-2), Daniel Breslin (0-2), Eoin Gallagher (0-2)

Important win for Glenfin

Glenfin had to work very hard to earn the points against Naomh Muire in this Division 2 league tie in Glenfin.

Glenfin . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3-8

Naomh Muire . . . . . . . . . . . 1-12

It was Naomh Muire that started the better and went three points up after seven minutes Dara White, Harry Harden and Sean Yank Boyle getting the scores.

Gerard Ward then scored 0-2 for Glenfin to put just one point between the sides.

Shaun Yank Boyle hit back for Naomh Muire to put them three up again before Gerard Ward scored his third after 23 minutes to bring it back to a one point game again.

Naomh Muire registered two more points in the 26th and 30th minute a free from Jack Boyle and another from Shaun Yank Boyle to put three between the sides with half time looming.

But Michael McGlynn levelled the game with a fine goal with the last kick of the first half to leave the score Glenfin 1-3 Naomh Muire 0-6.

Crucially, Glenfin got a goal with their first attack of the second half, a high ball into the Naomh Muire square and Stephen McGlynn got his fist to it to put Glenfin three points up and Kevin Mc Glynn added a quick point to leave four points between the sides.

Dara White got a point for Naomh Muire to bring it back to three but Jason Marley scored a fine point in the 7th minute to put Glenfin back in command.

Naomh Muire took over then for 10 minutes and scored 1-2 the goal coming from Shaun Yank Boyle and points from Harry Harden and Aidy O Gara to put Naomh Muire up by one point on a score of 2-5 to 1-9.

Jason Morrow levelled the game with 10 minutes to play and Gerard Ward put Glenfin back in the lead with a point and then Naomh Muire took control again through two points from Harry Harden and one from Shaun Yank Boyle to put them two up with time nearly up.

Undaunted, Glenfin attacked once more and Michael McGlynn was fouled in the square and Gerard Ward converted the penalty to put Glenfin one point up with 63 minutes played.

From the kick out Naomh Muire fouled on the 45 metre line and Conor McBride stepped up and finished the scoring with a fine point to give Glenfin a valuable three points home victory.

Glenfin Scorers: Gerard Ward 1-5, Michael McGlynn 1-0 Steven McGlynn 1-0 Kevin McGlynn 0-1, Jason Marley 0-1 Jason Morrow 0-1.

Naomh Muire Scorers: Shaun Yank Boyle 1-4, Harry Harden 0-4, Dara White 0-2, Jack Boyle 0-1, Aidy O’Gara 0-1.

Valuable points for Cloughaneely

Cloughaneely picked up a valuable and much needed two points as they welcomed Naomh Columba to Páirc Naomh Fionán on what was a wet and miserable Sunday afternoon.

Cloughaneely 1-14

Naomh Columba 1-6

Ryan Gillespie knocked over the first point of the day for Naomh Columba in the sixth minute and a second point came for the visitors from Pauric Cunningham.

Cloughaneely managed to keep them scoreless for a period of twenty minutes in the first half at which point Cloughaneely then pulled ahead.

Points from Shaun McGuire (9th and 19th) and Kevin Mulhern (17th) saw them draw level with the visitors.

The real damage for Naomh Columba came in the form of a Cloughaneely goal in the 21st min where Shaun McGuire neatly off-loaded to Darren McGeever who found the back of the net.

Cloughaneely then immediately won the subsequent kick-out and Darren Ferry registered Cloughaneely’s fourth point of the day.

Ferry notched up his second point of the day in the 26th min.

Cloughaneely deserved their 1-5 to 0-2 half-time lead and also the dominant side for much of the second half as Naomh Columba fought to narrow the gap. Cloughaneely were on the attack straight from the throw in and McGeever knocked over two points in quick succession, one from a free.

Ryan Gillespie, who was Naomh Columba’s top scorer of the day tapped over his second point from play in the 32nd min.

Again, the home side held Naomh Columba scoreless for a period of twenty mins in the second half; when Cloughaneely widened the margin further with points from John McGarvey, Kevin Mulhern, Lee O’Brien, Darren McGeever and Shaun McGuire.

The visitors also struggled with Ciaran McGeady’s speedy breaks out of defence.

Naomh Columba found themselves 1-13 – 0-4 down with 7 mins of normal time remaining; they resiliently worked the ball into the goal mouth where Gavin McGinley managed to get a touch to it after a goal mouth scramble to secure a goal for the visitors in the 53rd minute.

Ryan Gillespie then managed to follow this up with two points in quick succession however time was not on their side.

CCF: Ciaran Gallagher, Ciaran McGeady, Paul McFadden, John Harley, Kevin Mulhern (0-2), Paddy Cannon, Ronan Cannon, Michael McCausland, Lee O’Brien (0-1), John McGarvey (0-1), Darren Ferry (0-2), Darren McGeever (1-4) Cillian Gallagher, Shaun McGuire (0-4), Eugene McGuire.

Naomh Columba: Paddy Byrne, Barry Carr, Kieran McBrearty, Philip Doherty, Kevin McNern, Pauric Ward, Stephen Jones , Michael McGuire, Ryan Gillespie (0-4, 1F), Pauric Cunningham (0-1), Ryan McNern, Gavin McGinley (1-0), Paul Doherty, Pauric O’Neill, Jamie McNern (0-1).

Malin hit St. Naul's for six

A second half goal fest pushed rampant Malin to an eventual easy victory over St Naul’s who were swept aside in a frenetic finale.

Malin . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6-9

St Naul’s . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1-11

A second half goal fest pushed rampant Malin to an eventual easy victory over St Naul’s who were swept aside in a frenetic finale.

Three goals in two minutes early in the second half effectively decided this affair as Paul McLaughlin, Brendan McLaughlin and Kieron McColgan all finding the net to put Malin ahead by 3-8 to 0-6.

And despite the best efforts of Stephen Griffin and Co, there was just no way back for St Naul’s.

Seamus Houghton, Declan Walsh and Dan McDaid got the other goals with John Rose replying for the Mountcharles men.

The first half was played in torrential rain as Malin managed to edge out a five-point half time lead.

But the second half was a goal fest with the net being rattled an incredible seven times.

Malin got good joy down the left with three early scores from Brendan McLaughlin, Matthew Byrne and Stephen McLaughlin.

The visitors got off the mark when Shane Conneely’s shot from the left had to be pushed over by Darragh McLaughlin.

Malin responded with Damien Harkin's well- timed run as he slotted over a rare point.

Stephen Griffin tapped over a free but Malin came back with Matthew Byrne doing well up the right before cutting in and over with the left and Anthony Kelly free and Byrne again to put Malin five points clear at half time with the score Malin 0-0-7 St Naul's 0-2.

Byrne scored Malin’s first of the second half from under the stand but St Naul’s rattled off three scores in a row from Cathal Lowther, Griffin 0-2 and Connelly as they stayed in touch. The game was effectively put to bed shortly after with those three goals in two minutes.

Byrne tagged on a point before Seamus Houghton helped himself to a goal shooting between the keepers legs as he was set up by the pacy Stephen McLaughlin.

St Naul's came back with points from McCole 0-2 and Barry Rose but Malin hit a fifth goal when Declan Walsh cut in from the byline squeezing in at the near post.

Barry Rose struck a point, and John Rose hit a fortunate goal when his long ball in from the 45 deceived fullback, full forward and keeper to give the Mountcharles side a consolation goal.

But Dan McDaid replied right away with another goal as he was set up by a wonderful bit of fielding from Houghton and he made no mistake one on one with the helpless Burke.

Malin scorers: Matthew Byrne (0-5) Brendan McLaughlin (1--1), Paul Mclaughlin (1-0), Kieron McColgan (1-0), Declan Walsh (1-0), Dan McDaid (1-0), Seamus Houghton (1-0), Anthony Kelly (0-1), Stephen McLaughlin (0-1 Damien Harkin (0-1).

St Naul's scorers: John Rose (1-0), Stephen Griffin (0-4), Brendan McCole (0-2), Barry Rose (0-2), Shane Conneely (0-2) Cathal Lowther (0-1)

If you have a story or want to send a photo or video to us please contact the Donegal Live editorial team any time. To contact Donegal Democrat and Donegal People's Press, email To contact Donegal Post, email To contact Inish Times, email

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.