The man appeared before Letterkenny Circuit Court
A Carndonagh man has affirmed a signed guilty plea in respect of a serious assault in a public house.
Anthony Cantwell appeared before Letterkenny Circuit Court.
The 45-year-old, of Corvish, Carndonagh, is charged with assaulting another man and causing him harm at the Persian Bar, Carndonagh, on July 15, 2024.
The charge is contrary to section 3 of the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act, 1997.
Cantwell spoke only to confirm his plea of guilty having been sent forward from Carndonagh District Court on a signed plea.
Mr Simon Gillespie BL, barrister for Cantwell, instructed by solicitor Mr Frank Dorrian, said his client has come before the court previously on matters of a similar nature.
Mr Gillespie said that Cantwell has had difficulty with alcohol use, but has since been instructed that he has abstained from alcohol in recent months and is now in full-time employment.
Judge John Aylmer requested an assessment as to Cantwell’s suitability for community service.
The case was adjourned to the next sitting of Letterkenny Circuit Court.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.