27 Sept 2022

Brian McCormick Cup and Voodoo Venue action kicks off Donegal League season

The curtain was raised on the new Donegal League season last Wednesday night and the first full weekend took place with Brian McCormick Cup and Voodoo Venue action to the fore

Brian McCormick Cup and Voodoo Venue action kicks off Donegal League season

Gweedore Area
Group A
Gweedore Celtic 1
Gweedore United 1
A goal in the first minute and then a goal in the fifth minute of injury time at the end of the game saw both teams sharing the spoils in this hard-fought local derby.
The away team got the perfect start scoring in the first minute of the game when Matthew Galway got on the end of Ciaran Mc Fadden's through ball to score from close range.
Na Ceiltigh, with a number of substitutions, began creating chances with Thomas Diver and Colin Ferry coming close and when Neil Doran missed an opportunity deep in injury time it seemed as if the away team had secured the victory, however, Colin Ferry's exquisite through ball for Johnny O'Donnell to finish to the net in the ninety fifth minute rescued a point for the hard-working home team.

Gweedore Area
Group B
Cranford United 1
Kilmacrennan Celtic 5
Goals from Chris Dillion (3), Gary Gorman and Cathal Mc Daid ensured last year’s Premier Division Champions Kilmacrennan started their Brian McCormick Cup campaign with a win against an under-strength Cranford.
Kilmacrennan were out of the blocks quick and were four goals to the good after twenty-five minutes. Cranford improved in the second half and got a goal back but Kilmacrennan added a fifth to run out comfortable winners.

Lifford Area
Group A
Convoy Arsenal 1
Drumoghill F.C. 2

Letterkenny Area
Group A
Kerrykeel ’71 F.C. 1
Whitestrand United 3
The ‘71 started well and went in front on 20 minutes when Aaron McConigley fired home after great work from young Charlie Mc Ateer.
Kerrykeel missed a few chances to go two up and were made to rue them as ‘Strand’ levelled after the water break with a great finish from inside the box. Young Declan Brouhan then came off the bench to score two in the last five minutes, the first a great finish. Kerrykeel were unlucky with injuries and lost two men in the first half and two in the warm up which proved costly.

Rathmullan Celtic 1
Fanad United 1
The Hoops opened the scoring on 35 minutes when the hugely impressive Jay Curran latched onto a scintillating Kevin O’Donnell run and cross from the left wing after Eoin Sheridan set the winger on his way.
The game somewhat changed on the hour mark when the Hoops talismanic midfielder Eoin Sheridan was put through one on one with Fanad keeper Mark Mc Conigley with the shot stopper coming out on top with a fine save to keep his team in the game.
With this lifeline, Fanad launched an attack on the Hoops; goal with Hoops midfielder Jamesy Gallagher fouling United’s forward Dylan Mc Gloin in the box which resulted in a penalty kick. Caolan Mc Elwaine made no mistake giving Shaun Gallagher no chance to equalise. Fanad probably should have taken the lead on 75 minutes when Mc Elwaine hit the post from outside the area with the rebound falling to Mc Gloin but the striker struck his clear-cut chance off the opposite post much to the relief of the home faithful.

Group B
Bonagee United 1
Milford United 0
Bonagee took the lead on 23 minutes when Gallagher laid the ball off to Eamonn Cannon who put through a great ball to Coady Brogan and he shot home from eight yards.
The visitors thought they had levelled on 44 minutes when a cross into the box was dropped by the keeper but it was cleared off the line by a defender. Merritt again saw his shot on goal on fifty minutes well saved by Harkin. Jordan Gallagher saw his free kick from twenty yards go over the bar on fifty-seven minutes. Merritt also saw his free from the edge of the box go over on the hour. Peter Carr for Bonagee had a strike from twenty yards brilliantly saved by the keeper on seventy-six minutes.

Letterkenny Rovers 2
Swilly Rovers 1
Two first half goals proved enough for Letterkenny Rovers who opened their Brian Mc Cormick Cup campaign with a narrow victory over Swilly Rovers in humid conditions at Leckview Park.
The home side were quickly out of the blocks and carved open the Swilly defence after just three minutes. Debutant Mokhtar Bouasria threaded a precise through ball for Patrick Gahir who fired an unstoppable shot into the net beyond goalkeeper Barry Gallagher.
Rovers doubled their lead just after the quarter-hour mark when Gallagher clattered into Jordan Nugent inside the box and referee Sean Ferry pointed to the penalty spot. Nugent made no mistake from 18 yards to make it 2-0.
In the second half, Leon Doherty smashed a volley off the underside of the crossbar for Letterkenny before Swilly were handed a lifeline with twenty minutes remaining. Kyle Black was upended inside the penalty area by Sergey Alcorn and Black scored from the resultant spot-kick to reduce the arrears. Darragh Morrison spurned a late chance to re-establish Letterkenny's two goal cushion but they were still able to see out the win.

Donegal Area
Group A
Donegal Town 3
Letterbarrow Celtic 2
Donegal Town welcomed neighbours Letterbarrow Celtic to the Hospital Field and it was Letterbarrow who were quickest out of the blocks with Christy Mc Laughlin scoring a brace.
At half time it remained 2-0 to Letterbarrow. Donegal started the second half in whirlwind fashion and had the Barrow defence under serious pressure. Glenn Harron got the all-important goal after great work by Joe Mac and Ruairi Mc Laughlin. Ruairi, not to be outdone, got Town’s second with 10 minutes left on the clock. Letterbarrow visibly tired and Joe Stitt scored a screamer past Shallow in the Letterbarrow goals. Two good team efforts with Ruairi Mc Laughlin prominent for Town in the second half. Referee: George Clinton.

Dunkineely Celtic 0
Cappry Rovers 10

Group B
Curragh Athletic 4
Drumkeen United 2

St. Catherines 4
Ballybofey United 1
Both teams started off with neat possession football on a beautiful Emerald Park surface and the deadlock was broken on eight minutes by Kyle Mc Geoghan as he bravely met a 50/50 ball on the six-yard box sending it flying past the helpless visiting keeper.
The Saints found themselves two up on 27 minutes when a floated free kick from the left was met with a glancing header from Paul Murrin, this was the way the score line remained until the half time interval. A third came soon after the break and was dispatched with authority into the roof of the net by Daniel O’ Keeney after a sweeping break from defence consisting of six quick incisive passes that split Ballybofey wide open.
Michael Lafferty was having a steady game in the middle of the field for the visitors and it was his corner that picked out the head of Darren Bonner and the score read 3 - 1 as he found himself unmarked in the Saints’ box. The entertaining encounter was put to bed on 70 minutes as Paul Murrin found himself clear when the ball bounced in his favour after a failed Ballybofey clearance and he calmly slotted low past Ciaran Bonner. St. Catherines’ young full backs had excellent games while the score of 4 -1 was slightly harsh on the visitors and they will have better days to come.

Gweedore Area
Group A
Glenea United 3
Gweedore United 0
(walkover win)

Group B
Keadue Rovers 3
Kilmacrennan Celtic 2
Keadue emerged victorious from this tight encounter at Central Park on Sunday.
Paul Bradley pounced to strike low to the net to give Kilmacrennan the lead. The visitors were confident at this stage and should have been further ahead after the half hour when Paul Bradley shot wide after a good move. Kilmacrennan had most possession and chances but just weren't taking them. Keadue did lift their game in the last five minutes of the half and got the break of a leveller when Aidan Brennan's pass found Brian Proctor and he struck a good leveller to make the teams all square at half time.
At the start of the second half Chris Greene had the first chance for Keadue.
The game was opening up nicely now and just short of the hour good work by Peter Mc Gee on the edge of the box led to a pass to Chris Greene who neatly tucked away his effort in the top corner. Both sides then made some substitutions which interrupted the flow of play somewhat.
For the closing period of the game Kilmacrennan had the majority of possession and on seventy minutes Keadue keeper Ben Boyle made a good save. The possession continued to favour the visitors but they were met with good resistance by the Keadue defence that stood firm. Keadue went 3-1 up on eighty-one minutes when Kilmacrennan's centre back erred on a back pass and the ball went past the keeper. Kilmacrennan did pull one back however on eighty-eight minutes with a well-timed run and finish by Chris Flanagan.

Lifford Area
Group A
Raphoe Town 1
Lagan Harps 2

Group B
Kildrum Tigers 4
Lifford Celtic 0
Another season kicked off at Station Road, the hosts welcomed Lifford Celtic on their return to the Donegal League. A goal in either half from Daniel Clarke and goals from Jacob Mc Daid and Daniel Coyle saw ‘The Tigers’ run out comfortable winners in the end.

Voodoo Venue Cup
Area 1
Cranford United Reserves 0
Kilmacrennan Celtic Reserves 3

Ramelton Mariners 2
Glencar Celtic 0

Swilly Rovers Reserves 3
Milford United Reserves 3
Swilly got on the score-sheet first when Shaun Bryant was first to react, firing the ball home from close range after John Matthews made a save from the initial shot. Swilly then doubled their lead after a Shaun Bryant free kick was stopped again by Matthews but Evan Ryan was there to get his first goal for his new side. Milford got one back shortly afterwards when Corrie-Lee Blaney got on the end of a Ciaran Blaney cross. Halftime score was 2-1 to Swilly. The second half started brightly and Swilly restored their two-goal lead when Dylan Hegarty got on the end of a fine delivery from Edan Bradley.
Milford started to push forward more and got one back after some fine play by Corrie before he found the top corner from the edge of the box. Milford got the leveller with ten minutes to go after they broke down the left side and got through on goal, Blaney in the Swilly nets made the initial save but Blaney followed in to make it a hat-trick and rescue a point for the visiting side.

Area 2
Drumbar United 2
Copany Rovers 2

Fintown Harps AFC 5
Donegal Town Reserves 2
In excellent conditions Fintown started brightly, taking the lead with Stephen Boyle slotted home from six yards on the 10th minute. Donegal Town responded five minutes later with Stephen Curran finding the range to level it up. Fintown responded well with some great play in midfield and Thomas Long found the net to put them 2-1 up. Donegal fought hard and got back on level terms again through Joe Stitt. Fintown struck again just before half time with Aidan Mc Cahill beating the Donegal Keeper, 3-2 at half time. The Second half started well for Fintown with Mc Cahill getting his second goal of the day in the 50th minute. Curran then completed his brace of goals putting Fintown 5-2 up with still a half an hour to play.

Area 3
Arranmore United 2
Keadue Rovers Reserves 2

Dunlewey Celtic 4
Glenea United Reserves 1
Dunlewey broke the deadlock when Paul Coll pounced on a loose ball in the box to slot home. Dunlewey kept the pressure on and scored a second when Conor Mc Mahon broke through and rifled the ball into the top corner beating the Glenea keeper to make it 2-0 to the hosts.
Conor Mc Mahon then turned provider when he took on the Glenea defence to pull the ball back to Joseph Devenney who slotted home from close range. 3-0 was the score at half time. Glenea grabbed a goal back with a well worked move finished off by Calvin Murray in the area on 75 minutes. Dunlewey however struck back immediately when Joseph Devenney restored Dunlewey’s three goal cushion on 77 minutes.

Area 4
Drumoghill F.C. Reserves 0
Ballybofey United Reserves 0
Drumoghill welcomed Ballybofey United to The Moss in perfect playing conditions for a game. It was a hard-fought draw. The first half was very tight with no clear-cut opportunities for either team. The second half saw the home keeper Jay Wozzer push a great free kick effort from Ballybofey around the post on 55 minutes. Drumoghill probably should have taken the lead when Chris O’ Donnell headed at goal and the crossbar came to Ballybofey United’s aid.

Kildrum Tigers Reserves 1
Cappry Rovers Reserves 0
Kildrum scored the only goal of the game in the first minute when Daniel Coyle tapped in at the back post from a Reece Duncan Cross, his first goal at senior level. The rest of the game played out with few chances for either team aside from a Cappry shot that was well blocked by a Kildrum defender.

Oldtown Celtic 7
Castlefin Celtic Reserves 0
Oldtown started the better applying pressure before taking the lead through a Joe Friel penalty after Luke Nelis was fouled in the box. Michael Gibson in the Oldtown goal pulled off a fine stop before Luke Friel added a second. Both Luke and Joe Friel added another each from close range before half time. Oldtown started the second half in a similar fashion with Ciaran Gibson firing home a fifth on the volley before sub Mick Hawe headed home a superb sixth. Ciaran Cleary added a seventh with a neat finish before Oldtown played the last fifteen minutes with ten men due to an injury.

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.

Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.