Plenty of goals and entertainment in FAI Junior Cup

Donegal League round up

Plenty of goals and entertainment in FAI Junior Cup

Action from Sunday's CT Ball Division Two game between Dunkineely Celtic and Whitestrand Utd. Photo: Gary Foy.

Donegal League champions Drumoghill FC came out on top in an exciting FAI Junior Cup tie, winning 3-2 at Milford United on Sunday.
Among the other local sides to record wins were Castlefinn Celtic, Keadue, Kildrum Tigers, Glenea United and Erne Wanderers.
In the Donegal League Division One, Donegal Town moved top of the table after a 4-0 win at Bonagee.

FAI Junior Cup
Castlefinn Celtic 14
KS Eagles 3
Castlefinn were cruising in the first half leading 6-0 at the break. Matthew O'Rourke scored a hat-trick in that opening half with two goals from JP Malley and one for Raymond Foy. The second half started in the same manner with Matthew O'Rourke scoring another two goals. Malley added another four. KS Eagles got a third with 10 minutes to go but Castlefin then added to their goals from Foy and a penalty from Ian Ward.
Referee: Liam McLaughlin.
Kildrum Tigers 2
Clones Town 0
Played on a lovely Autumn afternoon at Station Road the Tigers put in an assured performance to advance to the next round of the FAI Junior Cup.
Kildrum controlled proceedings and took the lead after 30 minutes through a wonderful strike from William Lynch from all of 30 yards. The Tigers doubled their lead after great work from Gareth Colhoun down the left hand side, when he beat two men, before squaring to Declan Curtis to tap in.

Keadue Rovers 3
Illies Celtic 0
Conditions were good for the game and the home side were much the brighter from the start. In the second minute Conor Greene’s header hit the crossbar.
Illies' first chance came in the sixth minute with a shot just wide.
In the 18th minute Keadue were awarded a penalty but Ryan Greene’s effort was saved by keeper Johnny Noone.
Keadue again started the second half on the front foot and didn’t have to wait long for the opener when Chris Greene’s effort from the edge of the area went through a lot of bodies and into the corner of the net.
In the 63rd minute a good ball on the right wing was met on the run by Corey Gallagher and he hit a brilliant goal from distance lobbing the keeper
Close to the end, Keadue were awarded a free kick and Corey Gallagher again hit an excellent effort from thirty yards to seal the game.
Best for Keadue were Corey Gallagher, Chris Greene and Hugh Moy while best for Illies were Johnny Noone and David Doherty.
Referee: Michael McFadden.

Cranford United 0
Glenea United 3
Cranford started the game on top and had a number of chances through Andrew Kelly and Dale Mc Fadden. Glenea came into the game and just on half time they went one up, a great finish from Ciaran Mc Geady.
Both teams had plenty of chances again in the second half with Glenea taking two late chances to close out the game.

Erne Wanderers 4
Drumkeen United 3
The visitors opted to play against the elements in the first half and Erne set about pressuring from the start and they took the lead on eight minutes when David Dolan headed home a Ryan O’ Brien cross.
Wanderers doubled the advantage on 28 minutes when Seamus Kane slid home from ten yards.
The visitors rarely threatened in the first half but when Niall Bonner went down the right wing his back post cross found Doherty and he planted his header to the top corner.
The second half was five minutes old when the referee awarded a free on the edge of the box to United and Benny Bonner planted it past Boyle.
It was end to end now and both teams had chances to score before David Dolan found the net on 65 minutes. Dolan completed his hat-trick on 78 minutes when he bundled home Russell’s corner.
Drumkeen were awarded another free on the edge of the box on 85 minutes with the same outcome from Bonner.
Best for Erne was David Dolan while Mc Namee and Bonner were a threat for Drumkeen.
Referee: Con Mc Laughlin.
Raphoe Town 1
Greencastle F.C. 3
A lot of early pressure from Greencastle saw them almost open the scoring with a shot that rebounded off the bar.
Greencastle’s pressure did pay off when Ronan Doherty turned with a great shot putting Greencastle in front.
Raphoe then got back on level terms when Michael Quinn was brought down in the box. Raphoe’s Christy Bogle scored from the penalty spot.
Ronan Doherty put Greencastle back in front early in the second half. Greencastle’s Michael Barr scored a thunderous free kick from 25 yards to seal victory.
Referee: Kevin Logue.

Temple Domestic Appliances Div One
Glenree United 2
Gweedore Celtic 0
Damien Nelis, in the 56th minute, gave the home side the lead when he rose highest to ping a header into the top corner.
This gave the home team a boost and they pushed for a second and had chances through Aaron Mc Clafferty and the industrious Marty McLaughlin.
The second goal came when Kevin Doherty rounded the outrushing goalie to unselfishly pass to Seamus Coyle to finish the game off in the 85th minute. Best for Glenree were Marty McLaughlin and Kevin Doherty.
Referee: James Malseed.

Bonagee United 0
Donegal Town 4
The visitors took the lead on 16 minutes when a long ball out of defence fell to Daniel Mc Hugh and he lobbed the advancing keeper .
Lee McMonagle saw his strike on 20 minutes well saved by Liam O’ Meara in the visiting goal.
Carr in the home goal made two great saves from Joe McIntyre and Ben Sweeney.
Donegal got their second on the half hour, after a great run down the right by David Graham he squared the ball to Joe Mc Intyre who shot home from the edge of the box.
They got their third on the stroke of half time when Mc Intyre found Ben Sweeney and his strike from ten yards found the bottom corner of the net. The second half was all Donegal Town and Carr in the home goal made a number of great saves from Sweeney, McHugh and McIntyre.
They got their fourth on eighty minutes when Ciaran Monaghan broke down the right and his pass into the box was hammered home by Ben Sweeney.
Best for Donegal were Daniel Mc Hugh and Joe Mc Intyre and best for Bonagee was John Carr.
Referee: Paddy Martin.

CT Ball Division Two
Kerrykeel ’71 F.C. 2
Copany Rovers 0
The ‘71 got their first win of the season but they had to fight hard for it against a Copany side who fought to the end.
Copany missed a penalty early in the game before Donal Callaghan put the home side in front on 30 minutes when he lifted the ball over the advancing keeper.
Sean Little came into the game for the ‘71 on 60 minutes and made a great impact playing in Brian Mc Bride to fire home the second from six yards.
Referee: Frank Duff.
Dunkineely Celtic 1
Whitestrand United 1
After a scoreless first half, Dunkineely went ahead on 55 minutes when a good cross from Darragh Murrin found John Ban Gallagher to score.
Liam Riordan got Whitestrand's equaliser when he headed home a free-kick.
Lifford Celtic 4
Curragh Athletic 0
It's four wins from four for Lifford who stay close to the top of the table. Ross Porter fired them in front with a brilliant goal and they doubled their lead just before half time through Porter again.
David Gethins and Jason Mc Brearty got Lifford's other goals in the second half.

If you have a story or want to send a photo or video to us please contact the Donegal Live editorial team any time. To contact Donegal Democrat and Donegal People's Press, email To contact Donegal Post, email To contact Inish Times, email

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.