Donegal GAA County Board chairman Mick McGrath
Ahead of the start of the All-County Football Leagues, Mick McGrath, the Donegal County Board Chairman, has urged al clubs to continue following Covid-19 measures.
The 2022 Football Leagues get underway next weekend across the four divisions.
McGrath has expressed ‘concern’ at a huge spike in Covid-19 cases - and says the Board will re-establish a prevention code for clubs to follow.
As of 8pm on Friday night, there were 76 confirmed Covid-19 cases at Letterkenny University Hospital.
The HSE confirmed that there were, on average, over 200 tests per day at the Covid-19 test centre in Letterkenny last week.
In the first two weeks of March, the Letterkenny municipal district was the third worst-affected in Ireland.
“We are all shocked in recent days to hear of a serious increase of Covid -19 cases in Donegal,” McGrath said in a statement released on Friday.
“This is a concern to everyone as the weather shows a sign of Spring time.
“Our underage and adult games commence their All-County and Regional Leagues in the next week and we welcome all outdoor activity on our grounds and facilities, especially for our young players and our older supporters.
“There are several well publicised areas of Covid control and prevention that we must reflect on and it’s our obligation to re-establish a prevention code within our clubs.
“Please use hand sanitiser, dressing rooms should be well ventilated, maintain a one-metre distance where possible, wear a mask where possible, clean your hands often.
“Continue to follow advise supplied by the HSE. It hasn’t gone away, stay safe.”
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.